Prescription Charges and Help
NHS prescription costs
- The current prescription charge is £8.40 per item (£16.80 per pair of elastic hosiery).
- A three monthly PPC is £29.10 and could save you money if you need more than three prescribed items in three months.
- A 12-month certificate is £104.00 and could save you money if you need more than 12 prescribed items in a year.
PPCs are available by 10 monthly direct debit instalment payments. The prescription prepayment certificates allow anyone to obtain all the prescriptions they need for £2 per week.
Find out more about the prescription prepayment certificate.
If you need to access the services below then medicines are free:
- Medicines administered at a hospital or an NHS walk-in centre.
- Prescribed contraceptives.
- Medicines personally administered by a GP.
- Medicines supplied at a hospital or Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) clinic for the treatment of a sexually transmitted infection or tuberculosis.
Click the banner or here for more information